5 Reasons To Say Yes in the New Year and Why They Matter
I have learned that if you think too much about anything, you’ll never do it.
Why is that?
Because there are always plenty of reasons to fear what could happen. There’s no shortage of the downside to any new direction.
You might worry about:
What if he doesn’t like me?
What if I don’t find anyone?
What if I get hurt again?
What if it’s too late for me?
What if I had the love I was supposed to have and now its over?
What if I’m not healthy enough?
But, what If you had the same thoughts in a different way? What if you lightened it up and said, “Hey, what could happen?”
What if I do find love?
What if love finds me?
What if I am happy?
What if it all works out this time?
As a human, you’re the only creature on the planet capable of actively developing yourself. Every time you do something new you grow. However rich life has been so far there is so much more to come as long as you give yourself a chance.
Saying yes opens a door for something new to happen and if saying yes becomes a habit far fewer opportunities will slide by unnoticed. In fact, saying yes more will leave you with so many options that you’ll also have to say no more, but let’s concentrate on the glass half full.
The things you say yes to are the things that happen, the memories you create and the experiences that will make you who you are, and as soon as you begin you’ll find yourself on a journey that will shape the rest of your life.
The benefits of saying yes are numerous:
1. You become more interesting. With each new experience you have something different to share with others.
2. Your confidence gets a huge boost. You’ll feel less scared than ever before, more willing to take risks and as your field of vision opens up your eyes will shine brighter.
3. You get better at everything. Keep on plugging away and you’ll learn more, you’ll improve steadily and eventually your discipline will reward you.
4. Failure becomes OK. Saying yes is just as much about putting yourself in a position to accept that not everything goes perfectly, but that this is still OK.
5. You feel more healthy. Living life on your own terms comes with its downs but your ability to take charge and take or create new opportunities has done wonders for your mind and your body. You’re more positive, which means you challenge illness or inactivity as soon as it presents itself.
Try experimenting with saying yes to what scares you or makes you uncomfortable - including dating.
If you’ve been waiting to lose ten pounds or until your last child is out of high school before you pursue having the relationship you dream of, this is the year to say YES.
What are you waiting for?
Decide to say “yes” more.